Creating a website on WordPress is easy but online video hosting for WordPress is a little difficult. There are so many parameters you need to take into consideration while hosting. There are multiple platforms and unlimited plugins available in the market and it is difficult to choose from one of them. Especially for those content creators and distributors who don’t know how to implement things technically.
In this post, we are going to tell you the features of the Vdocipher player and how to add a Vdocipher player to your WordPress website by using our WordPress plugin. Vdocipher provides the highest secure online video player which helps you protect against video piracy. Along with DRM encryption + watermark security as our priority, we also provide you with a customizable player which a wide range of player themes.
Is WordPress Secure Enough for Safe Hosting?
When you’re hosting video content on WordPress, you have the choice of self-hosting (hosting on the same server as that of your website) or using a third-party video hosting provider. Both options have their own advantages and drawbacks.
- You have full control over the server, allowing you to customize and configure it according to your needs. This is particularly beneficial if you have specific requirements that most hosting providers don’t cater to.
- You get direct plug-and-play access as WordPress sets the default storage directory and other configurations. Self-hosting does not require you to configure custom storage and third-party integration with API, plugins, etc. This is more relevant especially if you don’t have the necessary technical expertise.
- The problem in this mode arises with Server management. It can be time-consuming and requires a certain level of technical expertise. If you don’t have the necessary skills, you may need to hire someone who does, or else your cost and downtime will increase rapidly.
Secure Hosting (Third Party):
- Advanced features like DRM encryption, Dynamic watermarking, custom video player, customization options, etc are usually part of a third-party video hosting package.
- A third-party video hosting provider handles server management and maintenance, including security, freeing up your time and resources.
- Most hosting providers offer 24/7 support, which can be invaluable if you encounter any issues.
- Third-party hosting providers typically offer scalable solutions, allowing you to easily upgrade your plan as your site grows.
- Third-party hosting can be more cost-friendly and convenient as you get the benefit of large-scale costing benefits passed to you by your hosting provider.
In the context of security, a reputable third-party hosting provider will likely have robust security measures in place and the expertise to manage them. This can include regular updates, firewalls, DDoS protection, CDN delivery, SSL certificates, and other device-based benefits. However, if you choose to self-host and have the necessary technical skills, you have the potential to implement even more rigorous security measures, tailored specifically to your website.
WordPress DRM easy implementation via VdoCipher plugin
After you have understood the importance of security when dealing with video content, it is important to make the best choice. Look no further than the official Google Widevine DRM partner VdoCipher. VdoCipher employs Digital Rights Management (DRM) to secure your videos against piracy, ensuring your work remains solely yours. As a complete solution, you get protection through Google Widevine and Apple FairPlay DRM making your video protection unbreakable.
Seamlessly integrating VdoCipher into your WordPress site is easy, thanks to the dedicated VdoCipher plugin and APIs for additional automated customization. Here’s how to set the gears in motion:
Install the VdoCipher Plugin for WordPress:
- In your WordPress admin area, go to “Plugins” > “Add New”.
- Search for “VdoCipher” to install the plugin from the WordPress plugin directory.
- Click “Install Now” next to the VdoCipher plugin, and then “Activate”.
Get Your VdoCipher API Key:
- Sign up for a VdoCipher account if you don’t already have one.
- Once you’re logged in, go to the “Security & Config” > “API Keys” section.
- Copy your API secret key.
Configure the VdoCipher WordPress Plugin:
- Back in your WordPress admin area, go to “Plugins”> “VdoCipher” > “Settings”.
- Paste your VdoCipher API secret key into the “API Secret Key” field.
- Click “Save Changes”.
Upload Videos to VdoCipher:
- Go to your VdoCipher dashboard.
- Click “Upload Video” and choose the video file you want to upload.
- Once the video has finished processing, it will be assigned a unique video ID.
Embed Videos in WordPress:
- You can embed a video in a WordPress post or page by using the VdoCipher shortcode, which looks like this: VdoCipher Error: Video ID not found. Replace “your-video-id” with the unique ID of the video you uploaded.
- Alternatively, you can directly embed the video iframe by getting the code from the quick embed section of your video in VdoCipher’s dashboard. Just paste this code into the text editor of your WordPress page or post and that’s it.
Your video is now protected by VdoCipher’s DRM technology. If you encounter any issues, consult the VdoCipher documentation or contact their support team.
Essential Security & Player Features for WordPress Video Hosting
VdoCipher provides you with a complete solution for video hosting in WordPress whether it’s an eLearning company or a media and marketing business. These are some of the key features of the Vdocipher player-
1. DRM-encrypted video hosting
Vdocipher provides you DRM encrypted video hosting for WordPress which restricts any external downloader or plugin from downloading your content. We provide you with the highest security to restrict video piracy. We use Google Widevine and Apple Fairplay DRM, the same technology used by Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. Now, all of you WordPress users can create a membership-based website and can hide all of your valuable content behind a paywall and VdoCipher will help you in securing your content.
2. WordPress plugin for easiest integration of video hosting-
Vdocipher provides you with a plugin for video hosting in WordPress which hardly takes 10 minutes and is very easy to integrate. These are the steps you need to follow to install the VdoCipher plugin-
1- First of all you need to login to the VdoCipher dashboard. After signing up, you need to go to the configuration section where you will find the client’s secret key. You will need this key to authorize the plugin so that you can play your videos from your VdoCipher account.
2- Go to your WordPress dashboard. In the add plugin search for the VdoCipher plugin and install it.
3- Click on the link “Activate”. On the top of this page, you will see a message. “Click here to configure VdoCipher”.
4- Now enter the client secret key on the next page and for the ready status.
5- Now you can start adding the videos to your VdoCipher dashboard. Once the video is ready, you will find a video id as part of the video information.
Once you have configured the VdoCipher plugin with the Client Secret key, you are ready to start streaming your premium videos through your WordPress website.
3. Custom player for video hosting for WordPress
Player Themes– Everyone has his own requirement for player themes so that they can match the color of their website. All you have to do is go to the player theme page and select the theme you want. Also if you have any other theme requirements you can share your requirement with us and we will try to make that available for you.
If you want your every video to have a different theme then that is also possible. Now you can make each and every video different via shortcode by adding the vdo_theme attribute ( Read More)
Height and width- Other than themes you can also manage the height and width of the video player. You can do so by adding height and width attributes inside the shortcode. Here is an example of that-
Video Player- You can also choose between Flash and html5 player. Though we provide support for the Flash player, we suggest you use html5 video player because it has better compatibility and a better streaming experience across browsers.
4. Dynamic Watermark for WordPress-hosted videos
Our watermarking feature allows you to add text and images to your videos. We provide you the options of moving and static watermarking both. As we know that piracy is a serious problem and even after the downloading is prevented but screen capturing can be done so dynamic watermarking can be strong dissuasion to people who are sharing the recorded videos. You can add important details like user name, IP, email, etc which will help you as a security layer on your valuable content and in keeping your revenue safe.
To add a watermark on your videos you need to pass a JSON string as annotation code which will contain all the important information about the watermark.
This is a sample code for dynamic watermarking-
We also provide you with the feature to skip the watermark between two overlays. Here is a sample code for that-
If you don’t want to add a moving text you can also add a static watermark. We have a detailed blog about it. ( Read more on WordPress watermark sample and settings)
5. AWS server CDN video hosting included
We use Amazon AWS s3 for data storage for video hosting which is one of the world’s best service providers in this field. All the encryption process is done by Vdocipher. Raw files and encrypted files are kept separately and only encrypted data can be fetched by the URLs and used for online streaming. So whether you have one video or 100 videos VdoCipher takes care of all of them at the same time.
To stream your content online you need a content delivery network. We use Amazon Cloudfront as CDN which has its presence in the form of 100+ CDN server pops all over the world. We have an auto-scalable and an extensive setup with AWS, so any load is taken care of automatically. So finally the secure content is delivered via the CDN which is also secure by the authentication. So with the help of Amazon S3, Amazon’s CPU for transcoding, and CloudFront, we ensure that you can play your video in any region or device with the highest security. (Read More)
6. Dashboard to manage all videos on VdoCipher + WordPress-
Vdocipher provides you with a very intuitive dashboard for video hosting for WordPress. There are so many features which are very useful for you.
- Folder management option to manage all your videos. You can create folders and subfolders to manage your videos on the VdoCipher dashboard.
- Through the VdoCipher dashboard, you can manage two different websites or projects.
- You can add multiple account managers and give them separate permission to manage your videos.
- We provide you with a detailed analytics section where you can check the number of views and other important analytics.
- Through the dashboard, you can add multi-lingual subtitles to your videos.
- You can also fetch your important data like video title, id, time, etc in CSV format through your dashboard.
So with all these easy-to-use and well-managed features, Vdocipher provides you with the best secure online video player for WordPress. Now you can easily set up an E-learning or Media or any other video platform and start selling your content online and we will make sure that your content is safe from piracy.
7. Secure offline SDK downloads
With VdoCipher Android SDK, you can securely download videos to your device’s local storage for offline playback. It includes APIs to download media files to local storage, fetch available downloads, and monitor download progress in your dashboard.
8. Multiple file format support
The file format of a video varies with the device and browser type. A video may perform at low quality on one device and at the same time, perform comparatively better on another device. To ensure the best possible video resolution on every device, the video file is converted into various formats.
9. OTP-based authentication
VdoCipher uses unique embed code on the basis of a short-lived access token, OTP to play videos. For every session, it ensures video authentication so that only authorized users access the premium content.
Users can easily configure the IP and country restrictions via our API guide. There are times when we need to restrict content for some countries or regions for reasons like compliance or varying pricing models. You may even require to blacklist or whitelist specific countries.
11. Multi-level user access
Multi-level access is especially useful when there are different access levels based on the role within an organization. For instance, an administrator may have full control of the features while a contributor may only have access to video upload. VdoCipher has four levels of user access, viewer, uploader, editor, and OTP creator.
Supercharge Your Business with Videos
At VdoCipher we maintain the strongest content protection for videos. We also work extremely hard to deliver the best viewer experience. We'd love to hear from you, and help boost your video streaming business.
Digital Marketing | Writing
I read therefore I write.