DRM keeps the digital content secure and helps in minimizing online piracy and unauthorized access to premium content. AWS DRM works in various ways, such as limiting the number of devices consuming the media, restricting how the media is loaded/downloaded and much more. DRM services are developing in response to the rise of online piracy owing to the extensive use of peer to peer exchange models.
DRM restricts the file playback to users who have authenticated with a third-party DRM license server. AWS DRM does so by packaging a DRM header in the segment of the file. The DRM package includes all the information needed to contact the license server and Other encryption information required to play a media file. After the file has been packaged, it is sent to the Content Distribution Network (CDN). A CDN can be a service like CloudFront and Amazon S3 or some non-AWS service such as Akamai. Once the file has been distributed, the license server needs to be contacted to retrieve the license to play a media file. DRM stands beyond Standard Encryption by specifying the complete set of protocols for content protection.
In short, A DRM protection system on AWS has the following necessary key steps:
- The Video Content Provider calls the DRM license provider through a live application with a content key ID to generate a content key.
- The DRM license provider generates a content key and returns it and a license acquisition URL to the content provider using the key ID.
- Video Content Provider calls its application to encrypt the content key.
- By passing the encrypted content key, key ID, and license acquisition URL, the application server now fetches the file to be secured and bundles it with the DRM information.
- The package server sends the DRM-protected file to the distribution server to distribute the file.
Keep in mind that AWS doesn’t provide a DRM license server of its own, so it needs to be coupled with popular DRM license servers like Google Widevine and Apple Fairplay. They are the best as they have the widest list of compatible devices for protection. Here is a brief about major DRM license providers:
Google Widevine DRM: Google Widevine is the content protection Digital Rights Management service (DRM) from Google to protect premium media. It is used by several streaming platforms and OTT networks like Google Play, Netflix, HBO Max and many more to serve the digital media content securely. It supports adaptive streaming formats such as MPEG-DASH, HLS and Common Media Application Format (CMAF).
Apple FairPlay: FairPlay is Apple’s DRM specification. It has been used for Apple’s iTunes Media Services, and since 2015, FairPlay Streaming has been securely delivering content on iOS, iPadOS, watchOS 7, tvOS, and macOS. FairPlay supports HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) and FairPlay Streaming (FPS) technology to encrypt and protect playback on Apple Devices securely.
Benefits of AWS DRM coupled with Widevine & Fairplay License Server
- Protection on all Google Android devices, including Android 4.4+
- Best Browser Protection via Google Widevine and Apple Fairplay for Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge for Android, and Safari browsers.
- Protection across Google Devices: Widevine provides compatibility with most devices, including Chromecast, Android TV, Roku, and many more. Google Widevine is currently available on more than 5 billion devices and has 1000 partners.
- Protection across Apple Devices: FairPlay supports different content formats and platforms. It supports Mac OS 10.10, iOS 9.0 or later on iOS native app, tvOS 10.0 or later on Apple TV.
- Lowest latency and fastest delivery via AWS multi-regional servers
- Netflix like highest grade video security for premium video content producers
- Highly recommended for eLearning and OTT service providers because of their video content’s security vulnerabilities
Requirements to deliver DRM protected content via AWS
Firstly, you need to have a DRM license provider like Google Widevine and Apple Fairplay to generate and store your DRM content keys. These keys are authenticated via the license provider whenever the media is requested for streaming.
Secondly, You need a server to store your encrypted video files. In the case of using AWS, it will be Amazon S3.
Thirdly, you will need a content distribution network (CDN) to stream your files through the nearest location instantly. In our case, it is going to be Amazon Cloudfront.
Fourthly, you will need to create a live application that authenticates and authorises your users. Many such application scripts are also required to completely encrypt the media files and store them in the desired location. These applications also need to perform other DRM protection tasks like key management and encoding.
Lastly, you will also require a media player capable of handling DRM-protected media and encrypted video files.
AWS DRM Solution Provider: VdoCipher
Since integrating the whole key management system requires technical skills, most video producers prefer popular media solution agencies like VdoCipher. Therefore, they have integrated the entire DRM system into AWS infrastructure to give the best results to the clients. VdoCipher provides you with AWS coupled DRM security using Google Widevine and Apple Fairplay License server.
VdoCipher is a SaaS-based subscription solution that simplifies the complex digital rights management (DRM) licensing service integration. It simplifies DRM integration to allow secure streaming across browsers, mobile devices, tablets, personal computers, Android TV, and Chromecast. VdoCipher leverages easy-to-use integration via Web UI and APIs to achieve the whole package. Through connection with AWS S3 and Cloudfront, VdoCipher customers receive a single, secured content workflow, from encoding and encryption to content delivery network (CDN). Below is the list of VdoCipher’s basic features.
DRM Encrypted Streaming
DRM encryption ensures the video content is stored and transmitted in encrypted form. Hollywood Grade DRM fights video piracy and no downloader or plugin can grab the content.
Watermarking to deter screen capture
The dynamic watermark feature restricts piracy of video content using screen capture and protect premium content. The watermark displays email, user id, IP, time stamp with easy customizations for color, speed, transparency and size.
Amazon AWS server and CDN
Pre-integrated with AWS S3 Storage, CloudFront CDN and Encoding Key Exchange through elastic servers. The infrastructure also includes enhanced Key rotation algorithms coupled with hardware security enforcement through device filtering.This ensures Multi-regional, adaptive and highly scalable infra on AWS to meet service growth.
Smart HTML5 Player
VdoCipher Smart HTML5 Player offers dynamic player controls for the best viewing experience. With Adaptive Multi-Bitrate Playback, Playback speed change and multi-lingual subtitles, stream HD content even at low internet connectivity. Other features includes video analytics, theme option and custom overlay.
Easy embedding via iframe, API and Plugin for WordPress
VdoCipher provides secure API and easy embed options based on iframe for easy integration through HTML5 and mobile native players.
Supercharge Your Business with Videos
At VdoCipher we maintain the strongest content protection for videos. We also work extremely hard to deliver the best viewer experience. We'd love to hear from you, and help boost your video streaming business.