We have given a summary of the recommended browsers on each device.
Talking of compatibility by example; there is a reason why Netflix does not play in mobile phone browsers (but we do). Netflix also is not supported on apps in some phones which do not have the required security compatibility, and Netflix does not provide HD videos on most devices because of security reasons. Our aim is that all viewers should have at least one very good option to watch videos on whichever device they have.
Summary: (Limitations are due to DRM solution compatibility with browsers and updates to ensure the highest security)
HTTPS is must on your website to play HTML5 videos, without https on your webpages, Vdocipher player will face issues.
1. Desktop/Laptop(Windows, Mac, Linux)
- Updated Chrome & Firefox on desktop most recommended browsers on Desktop. OS should also be updated to best possible versions. If a message shows on player to upgrade browser/OS, please first update Chrome/Firefox.
- If your account has Fairplay DRM integrated, then Safari on Desktop can also play well. Default, it is not supported.
- Latest Updated Edge on Windows 10 , Windows 8 is also now supported, users must update their Edge (83 and higher) to try it. Older versions are not supported.
2. Android (Phone/Tablet)
- In latest updated chrome (Supported only for Android OS>5). If it does not play in chrome (it can happen due to DRM compatibility issue in 1% cases) , then please try playing in any of the 2 other popular browsers which can support Widevine HTML playback on android
– latest updated ‘Firefox’ or updated ‘Edge’ browsers..So in summary, Chrome is default most recommended browser in Android, but 1 % of android chrome can have issues. Such users should try in latest updated ‘Firefox’ or updated ‘Edge’ browser on Android.
3. IOS (Phone/Ipad)
- Default – Updated Safari is most recommended if Fairplay DRM is not integrated for your account. Many devices’ chrome might be able to play videos as well (Specially IOS 14 users), but some old IOS chrome users wont be able to play. So Updated Safari is most recommended.
- If your account has Fairplay DRM integrated, then updated Safari is the most recommended browser.
- IOS >11.2 is required for playback. IOS <11.2 devices can face issues.
Supercharge Your Business with Videos
At VdoCipher we maintain the strongest content protection for videos. We also work extremely hard to deliver the best viewer experience. We'd love to hear from you, and help boost your video streaming business.